Why Buy Real?
What are the Environmental Benefits?
- Every acre of Christmas trees produces the daily oxygen for 16 people.
- Every hectare (2.47 acres) of Christmas trees absorbs 6 tonnes of carbon dioxide each year.
- Buying your tree from a local grower helps to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Every tree cut and sold is replaced with a new seedling.
- A real tree can be completely recycled.
- 85% of artificial Christmas trees are manufactured in China. So whilst the average tree is manufactured from plastic (oil) which accounts for two-thirds of its carbon footprint, transporting the artificial trees over to the UK burns even more fossil fuels, releasing more C02 into the atmosphere and further contributing to global warming.
- After Christmas a real tree is fully biodegradable. They will decompose and return their nutrients to the ground that nurtured them. In contrast an artificial tree cannot be recycled, so after their average useful life of 8 years they’ll then lie clogging up landfill sites. They will not disintegrate, but will remain there forever, taking up increasingly scarce landfill space.